Tuesday, June 19, 2007

To the Snow!




Santiago in the winter... smoggy, rain.... cold and dark... it can be so darn nasty. But then, on a clear day, the snow-covered peaks of the Andes stand like frozen castles in every direction. It's awesome to see, especially as the majestic background to the city's frenzy around sky scrapers, cell phone towers, and palm trees.


From our apartment, it's 45 minutes with snow chains, up the switchbacks towards Farallones to arrive at some seriously nice skiing. Here I am, this past weekend, taking in what may sadly be my last time up at the snow. Also a picture of Laurie and I together during a late spring snow last October and a sunset view of the smoggy city far below. And finally, a shot of one of my youth-groupers going for a little hang time. I'll miss having the wild "cordillera" of the Andes in our back yard!

No comments: