Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Photographer's Rebuttal

Matt here. per request, I thought I'd send along the image referred to in Laurie's last post.  I've really been studying up on my portrait technique the last few weeks.  The picture of Laurie came out of a lighting experiment.

I'm a lucky photographer to have such a cute and willing model right at home.... two of them, really.  Laurie patiently stood there getting radiated with 2,400 watts per second.  The neighbors probably thought we were experiencing a one-house lightning storm.  The resulting proof print, which is now propped in the living room behind Tortilla, our goldfish, was the picture that inspired Laurie to feel old and for a professor in San Francisco to say, "you made her look like Hitler."  The professor took a .005 second glance at a cute picture of Joey and determined that I was trying to give him a strange little siamese twin.  Perhaps, I have more work to do in understanding the intricacies of studio lighting and the magic of Photoshop.  None-the-less, I am enjoying the constructive criticism and blazing onward with flashes popping (one of which gave me a nasty blister on my tongue.)  I'm happy to report that I had a few successful outings in a not-so-makeshift studio this past week and am quickly learning the dark art of photographic post-production.

In the meantime, I am blessed to have my two cuties, Hitler, and half a siamese twin baby.  Thanks everyone for reading!

3 comments:

lislynn said...

Thanks, Matt!! And just to air my ignorance, I think they're both great pictures.....

JRob said...

the comment by herb of grace is so funny..because I was going to say the same thing- I think they both are great. I guess I don't have the "eye."

Dr. Francey Pants said...

Awww look...he has a big mouth just like his mother....HE HE HE!