Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Works for Me Wednesday


Another trend I have really been wanting to participate in..... Works for me Wednesday!!

Here is a chance to share a household (or other) tip or trick that you or your family use!

I don't have much time, so I'm just going to start with one thing, but hopefully next week I'll have a little more time!

Do you buy ground beef at the supermarket?? Well I don't know if you've noticed, but they used to ALWAYS been in 1 lb. containers. Maybe 1.01, or a little more. But in the effort to increase people's consumption (I think) and their spending and eating, over the last few years, ground beef has been creeping up in quantity. Now the packages (at least here in CA) are almost always 1.3 or 1.4. They are just getting bigger and bigger.

So now, when I buy it, I cut away about a third, or whatever amount I think the extra portion is, and put it in a ziploc bag and freeze it. I try to get it to about a lb, and then save the rest. When I get another lb, I do the same thing and put the extra in the same bag. After about 3 purchases of ground beef, I have another whole lb that I didn't have to buy. We aren't eating a bunch more than we need to, and we are saving on the purchase of a whole package!

What works for you in your family??

2 comments:

The Liebers said...

It sounds so obvious, but I never really thought about that! It's a great idea. You should send it in at parenthacks.com. They post all kinds of great ideas like this. You should check them out anyway, if you haven't already.

LM said...

I noticed that just the other day Laurie! I needed ground beef for a recipe, just a pound, but I couldn't buy just a pound! There were only 1.5 lbs packages! It was so annoying, I wish they'd still have some 1 lb available too.