Wednesday, February 13, 2008

For the Grandmas!

This is the video I took of Joey's "first" solid food (except for those sweet potatoes, that we fed him Jess, and the orange, and that fish food he got into--just kidding!!!)

I didn't put this up 3 weeks ago when we first started feeding him ;-) for fear of judgment for feeding him too early.... BUT in our defense.... he was over 4 months, and was showing lots of signs of being ready (like: suddenly waking at night where he had been sleeping for months and screaming, watching us eat, sucking on everything, good weight gain, eating everything available and still appearing hungry) SO, we started a little early(I had planned on starting after 6 months) but he only gets the solid stuff after he's eaten everything else available, and I am taking some supplements that are working well to increase milk production.

He seems to love eating any thing that is presented to him. He has no decreased interest in breastfeeding (wonderful!) and will eat whatever food is spooned into his little mouth. So far he's had, rice cereal, bananas, peas, pears and sweet potatoes. This week he'll try some carrots, and then that's it until he's 6 months. He LOVES it all though and cries every time we say "all done" and wipe off his mouth.




So Grandmas....this is especially for you (and Mom, now you can stop watching that video of Joey and Roxie). Hope you enjoy it!!

This next one is how eating has changed in the last 3 weeks. You can see that we have a high-chair now... (on loan from some friends at church, Nate and Rita), and we no longer have to surround him with blankets (he only sits on one to give him a little boost).

This was about 5 minutes before he was going to bed, should have been moving toward the crib earlier obviously. I know you can all sympathize with the need to keep those bites of food flowing quickly!! Poor Matt usually gets home after the baby has gone to bed, as 3 nights a week he is in the city for school and the other nights he is working. Matt was pretty surprised that we had gone from relaxed bites with lots of smiles in-between to rapid-fire-feeding. He (Josiah) was pretty frustrated this whole feeding, too late, too sleepy....and he doesn't seem too crazy about his rice cereal anymore. He likes it if it's early enough and he's feeling patient but he really just wants everything else. He'd eat a jar of peas over rice cereal any day. I'd like to think it's because it's all bland and boring BUT one of my dear friends and even my husband says that rice cereal is great so maybe it's just me....



P.s. Matt fed Joey again today while I was at the gym (much more optimal time in the day also) and it was a great experience for both. Matt referred to his amended style as "Direct Injection Feeding" (putting the bowl under his chin and shoving it in as fast as possible - his words again) He said that we should switch all together and just leave out the spoon and let Joey dip his head in and eat that way. (For those of you who know Matt - it's fun to watch him rush to do something!)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am absolutely tickled. Joey is growing so fast. Thank you so much for sharing just a tiny bit with us. Can we see more video, maybe from Dad's perspective :-)

lislynn said...

Very cute! Hmm, now who does that last one remind me of.... Grouchy when not fed adequately....hmmm...

The Nolls said...

What a good eater!!! Hey, I say if they'll take it, start 'em as early as they want on solids. Makes for good sleeping, pooping, and smililng :) I also love seeing his little way of showing impatience coming out. Too cute!

Tabitha said...

He is a great eater!! I haven't even attempted any with Jude as he doesn't usually put anything in his mouth except his hands ... which are yummy, yummy. :) So fun watching Joey and I agree with SB ... his little bit of impatience is kind of cute.

The Sinks said...

Joey, it's cool to eat super fast. People used to tell my mommy that she fed me too fast when I was littler, but she would let them watch what happened when she slowed down, and I would scream. I mean, how could you not love mushed up food...it's the best! Wish you were closer...I think we'd have some great dates, spent eating as fast as we can! Hope to see you again sometime before you're too big so I can hug and kiss you some more!
~Kathryn